https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRJ1FukplDYArjan Vos is a Dutch women’s water polo coach and was responsible for a diverse squad at Queensland Academy of Sport. Some members of the squad were just beginning their elite water polo journeys as teenagers. Two of them – Bronwen Knox and Ash Southern – have been named in Olympic All Star teams. He is renowned for his approach to his athletes and the loyalty and trust he inspires.In this conversation Arjan shares his coaching philosophies including:
- the role of facilitation vs goal setting as a coach
- His key coaching question and why it applies to juniors and veterans: What is their goal and how can I contribute?
- why it’s important stay out of the way and not to give too much as a coach
- the importance of truth
- why coaching is an attitude
- why creating space for mistakes is essential to improving
- how and why he develops critical thinking in his athletes
- his reflection strategies
- and more.
Have you had any great coaches, teachers or mentors? What were their philosophies? Let me know in the comments.